Saturday, August 22, 2009

Mildura - My first fooray into the interior of Australia

The interior of the country......flat and more flat.


My First Meat Pie in the country, while I was sitting at the Airport in Mildura. Not that bad really.

This is what passes as baggage claim in Mildura. A tractor with a cart attached to it.

Alright here was a trip I took to Mildura. A town in Victoria way inland. It was......interesting......to say the least. I went there to complete Hazmat surveys on two Woolworths stores....they are kind of like Ralphs back home. We have a huge contract with them.

Now Hazmat surveys are a bit different than surveys in the U.S. I look for Asbestos, Lead Paint, PCB's, SMF (like fiberous insulation), and ODS (like refigerants for AC units). So in a way they are more comprehensive than what we do in the U.S. However, they put asbestos in different things down here.

For example I have been told to STOP sampling drywall (or gyp rock as they call it here) because they don't put asbestos in it. What they do have a TON of is cement board, which we dont even use really in the U.S. and it is full of the stuff. Also alot of what looks like fiberglass contains asbestos as well, which is weird to me. They have asbestos in mastic as well, but we will get to the horrors of abatement in a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment